If you’re looking for a ScarAway Silicone Scar Sheets review, you’re in the right place!
I’ve tried dozens of scar products over the years, including ScarAway 100% Silicone Scar Gel and Silicone Scar Sheets.
If you have hypertrophic scars or keloids, silicone sheets are a great option.
That’s because silicone is clinically proven to reduce scars from surgery (including tummy tucks and C-sections), accidents, cuts & scrapes, burns, and even acne. (1)
Keep reading for my full review of ScarAway Silicone Scar Sheets!
ScarAway Silicone Scar Sheets Review
Our Score: 5/5
A trusted brand of silicone sheets with comfortable & breathable fabric.
- Reduces scar height & size
- Restores normal skin color
- Comfortable to wear
- Excellent reviews
- Results require patience
- Sheets must be washed & dried after each use
- Not suitable for visible scars
To Keep A Long Story Short...
ScarAway is one of the most recognized silicone scar sheet brands.
It’s very effective for minimizing both hypertrophic scars and keloids.
The sheets are affordable (under $2 each) and comfortable to wear.
However, silicone sheets have a few disadvantages:
- They are not suitable for scars on the face or hands
- They can be a bit of a hassle (require washing & drying)
- They can sometimes “slip off” during the day or night
- They absorb sweat during physical activities like running
If you have large body scars from surgery, trauma, or burns, silicone sheets are probably your best option.
That’s because they’re easy to apply and very cost-effective.
What is ScarAway Silicone Scar Sheets?
ScarAway is a well-known scar treatment brand that is often recommended by medical professionals such as dermatologists and plastic surgeons.
I’ve tried many of their silicone gels and sheets in the past for my own scars. In fact, my dermatologist was the one who first recommended ScarAway for my keloids.
The company offers a number of silicone scar sheets for different situations, including:
You can find all these products on Amazon.
- 100% silicone gel
- Soft and breathable fabric
- Self-adhesive material
- Flattens and prevents scars
- Restores normal skin color
- Comfortable to wear
- Very affordable
- Hypertrophic scars
- Keloids (including on the chest or earlobes)
- Surgical scars (including C-section)
- Scars from trauma, burns, or injuries
- Scars on the face, hands, and other visible areas
ScarAway Sheet Formats
How Does ScarAway Work?
Silicone is the #1 dermatologist and plastic surgeon recommended over-the-counter scar reduction ingredient, according to an independent market research firm. (2)
The International Advisory Panel on Scar Management has confirmed the clinical effectiveness of silicone for hypertrophic scars and keloids. (1)
Researchers believe that silicone works by hydrating and protecting the scar. This prevents skin dehydration which can contribute to abnormal scar formation. (3)
Silicone sheets are best suited for large body scars.
That’s because the sheets are pre-shaped – all you need to do is stick it on your scars and press firmly. This saves you a lot of time compared to applying a silicone gel.
You should wear silicone sheets for at least 12 hours a day for best results. Personally, I like to alternate between two sheets (day/night) so I always have one on my scar at all times.
However, there are a few disadvantages.
Silicone sheets can often slip off during the day and you won’t even notice until you find them stuck inside your shirt or pants.
While the sheets are generally comfortable to wear, physical activities like running can cause moisture problems. That’s because the sheets are designed to retain water which means it absorbs all of your sweat (and smells really bad!).
You also need to rinse and dry the sheets after each use which is always a pain.
But if you have large body scars, silicone sheets are your best option as they’ll save you both time and money compared to silicone gels.
ScarAway Silicone Scar Sheets Reviews
ScarAway Silicone Scar Sheets has over 1,000 reviews on Amazon.
Among the positive reviews, people reported gradual improvements in scar appearance, including scar size, scar height, and skin discoloration.
Among the negative reviews, people complained the sheet kept slipping off or felt too sticky.
As with all skincare products, your mileage may vary (YMMV).
"Holy cow, they really work!"
"Works well but requires a bit of effort"
- Gold MH, et al. International Advisory Panel on Scar Management. “Updated international clinical recommendations on scar management: part 2–algorithms for scar prevention and treatment.” Dermatological Surgery vol. 40,8 (2014): 825-31. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25068544
- “About ScarAway”. Retrieved from https://www.myscaraway.com/about/
- Bleasdale, Benjamin et al. “The Use of Silicone Adhesives for Scar Reduction.” Advances in Wound Care vol. 4,7 (2015): 422-430. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4486716/
- Gauglitz, Gerd G et al. “Hypertrophic scarring and keloids: pathomechanisms and current and emerging treatment strategies.” Molecular Medicine (Cambridge, Mass.) vol. 17,1-2 (2010): 113-25. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3022978/