Today, I’m going to discuss my No. 1 scar gel pick: NewGel+ Advanced Silicone Gel For Scars.
Does this product live up to its claims? Let’s find out. ⭐
ⓘ In today’s post, I’ll share my 2¢ on NewGel+ Advanced Silicone Gel for Scars!
NewGel+ Advanced Silicone Gel for Scars
Summary: NewGel+ is my #1 pick for an effective and affordable silicone gel for your scars. ????
Best For: Raised Scars, including Hypertrophic Scars, Keloids, and Scars from Wounds, Surgeries, Burns, Acne, Eczema, etc.
Polymerized Siloxanes (Silicone)
1.0% Vitamin E
Get It @ Amazon
NewGel+ is currently my top pick for all types of raised scars, including hypertrophic scars, keloids, and acne scars, as this fantastic product is both effective and affordable.
The ingredients are very simple:
- Polymerized Siloxanes (Silicone): helps reduce scar appearance and prevent recurrence by keeping your scar tissue hydrated (this reduces inflammation and normalizes wound healing) and protected from outside pathogens (source: Advances in Wound Care, 2015)
- Tocopherol (Vitamin E): helps to further soften and moisturize your scars
I began using NewGel+ after my last corticosteroid injection in late March 2019 and used it for over 6 months from May until October. I bought the 30g version from an authorized Canadian reseller, but if you live in the US, you can buy directly from both Amazon.com and NewGel+.
(Side note: I switched to NewGel+ after using Mederma for 6 months with no significant results. ????)
Once again, I have some before/after photos that showcase my progress.
Here’s before NewGel+, a few days after my final corticosteroid injection:
And here’s two photos during NewGel+ treatment, 2- and 4-months after my final injection:
(please note I had some new cysts on my right jawline and neck at this time which are not scars)
Finally, here’s my last photo, taken after about 6-months of using NewGel+:
(here you can see my skin is a little shiny because I had just applied it onto my scars)
Overall, during my 6-month treatment period, I felt that NewGel+ worked pretty well:
- It kept my scars moisturized throughout the day. This prevents skin dehydration which can trigger keratinocytes (skin cells) to produce signals called cytokines that activate your body’s collagen production process, a big “no-no” if you want to prevent scar recurrence like keloids (source: Advances in Wound Care, 2015).
- It softened my scars to a small extent. I attribute most of my scar reduction progress to corticosteroid injections (which requires a few months before you see the full results). Therefore, it’s difficult to say how much NewGel+ contributed to my overall scar results. But I do think it helped improve the smoothness of my scars.
- It helped restore normal skin color. I definitely believe NewGel+ helped reduce skin redness and local inflammation, thereby restoring more normal-looking skin color. You can see this when comparing my “before” photo in April 2019 and “after” photo in October 2019.
The only downside to NewGel+ (and I’m being nitpicky here) is that it has a stickier texture compared to some of the other silicone gels that I’ve tried (ScarAway, Kelo-Cote, Hiruscar, etc.).
Finally, customer reviews have been very positive on Amazon, scoring a solid 4.0 out of 5.0 right now. The reviews tend to fall into two buckets: i) it worked fabulously well! ???? or ii) it didn’t work at all ????.
My Verdict: NewGel+ is my top pick as it’s both effective and affordable. I’ve had excellent results using NewGel+ following corticosteroid injections for my own scars (see my before/after photos). While it’s not a “scar eraser” (nothing is!), it has helped me maintain my results, prevent my scars from coming back (a nightmare with keloids), and restore my normal skin color. ????
(p.s. if you enjoyed this science-based review, consider buying NewGel+ using the “shop now” link below as this helps support me to create more high-quality skincare content for you. ????)