The market is saturated with moisturizing skincare products and it’s hard to figure out what truly works best for your skin type.
Thankfully, nature and science have blessed us with hyaluronic acid, a naturally-occurring sugar molecule that increases hydration and prevents transepidermal water loss (Healthline).
It’s used as an ingredient in different skincare products and is rich in moisturizing properties.
Read on to discover the best hyaluronic acid moisturizers to quench your thirsty skin!
What Is The Best Hyaluronic Acid Moisturizer?
Here are my top recommendations:
- Editor's Choice: Peter Thomas Roth Water Drench Hyaluronic Cloud Cream Hydrating Moisturizer
- Best Drugstore Pick: Vichy Aqualia Thermal Rich Cream
- Best AM/PM Duo: EltaMD AM & PM Therapy Facial Moisturizer
- Best Korean Hyaluronic Acid Moisturizer: COSRX Hyaluronic Acid Intensive Cream
- Rave Reviews: Murad Hydro-Dynamic Ultimate Moisture
- Best for Eye Bags & Crow’s Feet: La Roche-Posay Hydraphase Intense Yeux
- Best for Acne-Prone Skin: Vichy Normaderm Phytoaction Acne Control Daily Moisturizer
Other notable ingredients include:
- Ceramides: locks moisture into the skin
- Tocopherol: helps protect the skin from skin damage
- Vitamin C: reduces the appearance of dark spots
- Cholesterol: works with ceramides to repair the skin barrier (The Cut)
- Elderberry: contains protective antioxidants that prevent fine lines and wrinkles
Users of all skin types rave about its lightweight and non-greasy texture, with some saying it feels like applying a literal cloud of moisture onto their skin. Just be careful when purchasing from Amazon as several reviewers mentioned receiving fake products.
Our Verdict: You can experience a cloud of softness with the Peter Thomas Roth Water Drench Hyaluronic Cloud Cream Hydrating Moisturizer and its unique mix of hyaluronic acid complex, pentavitin, and hydrolyzed silk!
The formula is a hit for those with dry and dehydrated skin types. A company study with 52 women showed that 90% of users attested to its long-lasting hydration, while 80% agreed that it produced plump and dewy skin.
The Vichy hyaluronic acid moisturizer also has no parabens, silicones, or oils but it does have fragrance, making it a hit or miss for sensitive skin.
Our Verdict: Vichy Aqualia Thermal Rich Cream is a godsend for sensitive skin as it uses pure hyaluronic acid, plant sugar, and volcanic water to help the skin retain moisture.
Meanwhile, the EltaMD PM Moisturizer has:
- Lanosterol Esters: repairs and hydrates dehydrated skin (IncideCoder)
- Ceramides: prevents fine lines and wrinkles
- Vitamin E: reduces free radical damage
- Thioctic Acid: smoothes skin and gives it a healthy glow
The AM has fewer emollients than the PM since it’s meant to stay comfortably under sunscreen and makeup. Accordingly, the PM is the thicker moisturizing cream as it’s designed to repair and restore the skin’s moisture levels through the night.
Those with acne-prone and sensitive skin are especially appreciative of the AM since it’s lightweight and gentle.
Just be sure to steer clear of expired products on Amazon.
Our Verdict: Achieve perfectly hydrated skin from day to night with the EltaMD AM & PM Therapy Facial Moisturizer and their specialized formulations on top of hyaluronic acid and niacinamide.
This gentle formula is designed for dry and dehydrated skin and excludes ingredients that may cause an allergic reaction.
Some reviews state that the COSRX intensive cream feels more like a thick gel so it can make you look a tad greasy. You can avoid this by applying it on damp skin and patting it in until it dries. You can also use a mattifying powder on top of the cream during the day to help you achieve a healthy (not oily) glow.
Our Verdict: The COSRX Hyaluronic Acid Intensive Cream could help you achieve the superstar skin of your dreams as it employs 3% hyaluronic acid, hippophae rhamnoides water, betaine, and macadamia nut oil.
Other ingredients include:
- Sunflower Seed Oil: soothes irritated skin
- Oat Kernel Extract: balances skin microbes for glowing skin
- Baker’s Yeast: reinforces skin integrity and protects it from pollution
- Betaine: promotes skin-water balance
- Trehalose: replicates the Natural Moisturizing Factor of the epidermis (The Derm Review)
- Olive Oil: moisturizes dry and mature skin
- Avocado Oil: penetrates multiple layers of the skin
- Licorice: regulates sebum
- Vitamin C: brightens skin
- Vitamin E: reduces UV damage
- Vitamin A: assists in the formation of collagen and elastin
- Panthenol: softens the skin
- Peptides: improves firmness and skin tone
Though some complained that its texture was a tad too thick, many point out that it doesn’t irritate sensitive skin.
Our Verdict: Invest in the ultimate moisture experience with the Murad Hydro-Dynamic Ultimate Moisture and its impressive list of hydrating and balancing ingredients!
This minimal ingredient list ensures that the product doesn’t irritate the sensitive eye area. However, some complain that it feels too gentle and they don’t see a significant improvement in their dark circles and fine lines.
Our Verdict: The La Roche-Posay Hydraphase Intense Yeux is the hyaluronic acid eye cream that will help you walk away from crow’s feet and dry under-eyes.
Meanwhile, hydrating hyaluronic acid and sodium polyacrylate bind water up to 1000x their mass to the skin as Vichy volcanic water fortifies the skin. This means that you don’t have to worry about the normally-drying effects of salicylic acid, kaolin and zinc.
People with oily skin shared that the light lotion texture of the product doesn’t leave them greasy and that it worked great for both their day and night skin care routine.
However, there were complaints about the strong fragrance.
Our Verdict: Vichy Normaderm Phytoaction Acne Control Daily Moisturizer can clear acne, improve skin tone, calm inflammation, and keep your skin feeling moisturized!