Today, I’m going to discuss the bestselling Philosophy Renewed Hope In A Jar with SPF 30.
Does this product live up to its claims? Let’s find out. ⭐
ⓘ In today’s post, I’ll share my 2¢ on Philosophy Renewed Hope In A Jar SPF 30!
Philosophy Renewed Hope In A Jar SPF 30
If you’re spending more time outdoors these days (in the garden, backyard, or mountain trails), make sure to use a moisturizer with broad-spectrum SPF to protect your skin from UVA/UVB radiation which are harmful over prolonged periods of exposure (source: Skin Cancer Foundation).
Philosophy offers an excellent day cream, the renewed hope in a jar, with SPF 30 sun protection (unfortunately, it’s a chemical sunscreen with avobenzone, octinoxate, and octocrylene; those with sensitive skin should consider a physical sunscreen like Josie Maran Argan Daily Moisturizer SPF 47 with zinc oxide and titanium dioxide that will be less likely to irritate your skin).
The renewed hope in a jar with SPF 30 (I’ll call this the “philosophy cream”) claims to “retexturize skin and deliver continuous hydration” as well as “brighten and re-energize the skin” with a blend of alpha hydroxy acids (Glycolic Acid, Citric Acid, Mandelic Acid) and Hyaluronic Acids.
The concentration of each alpha hydroxy acid is not disclosed, however, Beautypedia estimates it’s around 3-5% glycolic acid and less than 1% citric acid and mandelic acid (source: Beautypedia).
That means the philosophy cream might improve skin hydration and skin smoothness, but will not address any significant issues like hyperpigmentation, wrinkles & fine lines, or acne scars.
Moreover, the product has a very complicated ingredient list (46 in total), including silicones (cyclopentasiloxane and cyclohexasiloxane), fragrances, and viscosity adjusters (butylene glycol, disodium EDTA, synthetic fluorphlogopite, magnesium stearate, hexylene glycol). In addition, Hyaluronic Acid and Sodium Hyaluronate are both listed at the very bottom of this list. 😑
Some of the more positive reviews include:
- “This is my 3rd jar of renewed hope. I absolutely love it. Most days, after my vitamin c serum, it is my only other face treatment. I’m outside a lot, especially now in the pandemic. This is a wonderful hydrating moisturizer with the added bonus of a sunscreen, which works great also! It is my most valued skin product.”
- “I have used this product for the past 2 years and I refuse to change this out in my daily routine. I have extremely dry skin and this product has helped rejuvenate my skin with a dewy look! The bright side is there is SPF!!”
- “This is my favorite moisturizer! It leaves my skin super soft and not greasy. It is a thick consistency, but it really melts into my skin after a couple minutes. It’s even better because it has SPF. A must have for me.”
- “I remain impressed with this product after using it for over a decade. My skin does not react well to many moisturizers and this product has never given me any problems at all!”
On the other hand, here are some of the more critical reviews:
- “If you have thin, sensitive combination skin, this moisturizer is not for you. Especially if you are planning to wear it under make up. It is sticky and doesn’t absorb. Not telling that you cannot put a make up over it. It is basically a regular SPF sunscreen in a very small amount and at a very high price.”
- “I was so excited to get this product as I’ve used a few other philosophy items and have loved them. But within 2 days of using this my face was broken out in a weird itchy red mess that took another 2 days to go away :(“
- “The original Renewed Hope in a Jar is FABULOUS! It’s my absolute favorite. This formula with SPF is horrible!! It breaks me out and makes my skin feel greasy and oily all day, even after setting it with powder. This is going back to the store.”
My Verdict: The philosophy renewed hope in a jar is a bestselling moisturizer that now comes with broad-spectrum SPF 30 for a “refreshing and refining” experience during the day. 😎