If you’re looking for Embrace™ Scar Therapy reviews, you’re in the right place!
I’ve tried dozens of scar products over the years, including silicone scar sheets like Embrace.
Whether you have hypertrophic scars or keloids, silicone sheets come highly recommended by both dermatologists and plastic surgeons for scar treatment.
That’s because silicone is clinically proven to reduce scars from surgery (including C-sections and tummy tucks), accidents, cuts & scrapes, burns, and even acne. (1)
Keep reading for my full review of Embrace Scar Therapy Silicone Scar Sheets!
Embrace Scar Therapy Review
Our Score: 5/5
A trusted brand of silicone sheets with a range of different size options.
- Reduces scar height & size
- Restores normal skin color
- Comfortable to wear
- No need to reapply
- Excellent reviews
- Results require patience
- Sheets will often fall off
- You must wear the same sheet for 10 days
- Not suitable for visible scars
To Keep A Long Story Short...
Embrace Scar Therapy is a well-recognized brand of silicone scar sheets.
It was founded by a group of plastic surgeons at Stanford University and is also endorsed by tennis legend Serena Williams.
Silicone sheets are clinically proven to minimize the appearance of both hypertrophic scars and keloids. Embrace products also help relieve tension, a major contributor to scar formation.
However, silicone sheets have a few disadvantages:
- They are not suitable for scars on the face or hands
- They can sometimes “slip off” during the day or night
- They absorb sweat during physical activities like running
If you have large body scars from surgery (C-section, tummy tucks, etc.), trauma, or burns, then silicone sheets are definitely your best option.
That’s because they’re easy to apply and more cost-effective.
What is Embrace Scar Therapy?
Embrace Scar Therapy is a well-known brand of silicone scar sheets. It was created by Neodyne BioSciences, a medical company founded by plastic surgeons at Stanford University.
Embrace products are designed to address scars in 3 ways:
- 100% Medical Grade Silicone: clinically proven to flatten, soften, and fade scars
- Tension Relief: by helping close the incision (wound), embrace silicone sheets can stabilize your skin and prevent new scars after surgery
- Stress-Shield Technology: a unique innovation that protects incisions from your body’s natural movements to minimize any widening or thickening of your scar
- 100% silicone gel
- Relieves scar tension
- Soft and breathable fabric
- Self-adhesive material
- Comes in different sizes to suit your needs
- Flattens and prevents scars
- Restores normal skin color
- Comfortable to wear
- Relatively affordable
- Hypertrophic scars
- Keloids (including on the chest or earlobes)
- Surgical scars (including C-section)
- Scars from trauma, burns, or injuries
- Scars on the face, hands, and other visible areas
Embrace Scar Therapy Silicone Sheet Formats
There are a number of different options for Embrace silicone sheets, including:
- Embrace Active Scar Defense (Small 1.0″ x 1.6″)
- Embrace Active Scar Defense (Medium 1.5″ x 2.4″)
- Embrace Active Scar Defense (Large 2.0″ x 4.7″)
- Embrace Active Scar Defense (XL 2.0″ x 6.3″)
- Embrace Active Scar Defense (Tummy Tuck)
- Embrace Minimize for Old Scars (Large 4.7″)
You can find all of these products at the Embrace Store on Amazon.
How Does Embrace Work?
Silicone is the #1 dermatologist and plastic surgeon recommended over-the-counter scar reduction ingredient, according to an independent market research firm. (2)
The International Advisory Panel on Scar Management has confirmed the clinical effectiveness of silicone for hypertrophic scars and keloids. (1)
Researchers believe that silicone works by hydrating and protecting the scar. This prevents skin dehydration which can contribute to abnormal scar formation. (3)
Silicone sheets are best suited for large body scars.
That’s because the sheets are pre-shaped – all you need to do is stick it on your scars and press firmly. This saves you a lot of time compared to applying a silicone gel.
You should wear silicone sheets for at least 12 hours a day for best results. Personally, I like to alternate between two sheets (day/night) so I always have one on my scar at all times.
However, there are a few disadvantages.
Silicone sheets can often slip off during the day and you won’t even notice until you find them stuck inside your shirt or pants.
And unlike other silicone sheets, Embrace Scar Therapy requires you to wear one sheet for 10 days straight (without removal) before switching to the next one. For some, this may cause personal hygiene issues after showering and sleeping with the same sheet for over a week.
While silicone sheets are generally comfortable to wear, physical activities like running can cause moisture problems. That’s because the sheets are designed to retain water which means it absorbs all of your sweat (and smells really bad!).
But if you have large body scars, silicone sheets are still the best option as they’ll save you both time and money compared to silicone gels.
Embrace Scar Therapy Reviews
Among the positive reviews for Embrace, people reported gradual improvements in scar appearance, including scar size, scar height, and skin discoloration.
Among the negative reviews, people complained the sheet kept slipping off or felt too sticky.
As with all skincare products, your mileage may vary (YMMV).
"These work perfectly for a tummy tuck scar if you alter them a bit and prep your skin properly!"
Embrace Scar Therapy Alternatives
My Top Pick
My top pick for a silicone gel.
Featuring 100% silicone and vitamin E, NewGel+ boasts amazing reviews on Amazon at a very affordable price.
A high quality silicone gel.
Another high quality silicone gel, Kelo-Cote is very effective on hypertrophic scars and keloids but a little more expensive.
What Causes Scars?
Ever wonder why you get those pesky scars in the first place?
Well, research suggests that genetics are partly to blame (thanks, Mom and Dad). (4)
But scars themselves are a natural response by your body to injuries.
Part 1: Inflammation
When you’re injured, your body sets off an “alarm” signal known as inflammation.
This process jumpstarts the immune system and triggers wound healing signals.
Part 2: Repair
After inflammation comes the repair stage.
Your body replaces damaged skin with new skin cells and materials like collagen.
Collagen fibers weave together to form the foundations of new skin tissue (a “scar”).
Part 3: Scars
Unfortunately, scars are seldom identical to the original skin.
They’re often a different color and may feel hard or lumpy.
Sometimes, scars end up elevated like hypertrophic scars or keloids.
This happens if your body produced too much collagen during the repair stage.
Embrace Scar Therapy Silicone Scar Sheets is an excellent brand of silicone sheets for preventing scars from surgery or reducing existing scars.
I like that there’s a number of different size options to suit everyone’s needs (no scissors!).
You may want to consider using a silicone gel for scars on your face, hands, and other visible parts of your body. My top pick for a silicone gel is NewGel+ (I use it myself).
I hope this review helps you on your scar reduction journey!
- Gold MH, et al. International Advisory Panel on Scar Management. “Updated international clinical recommendations on scar management: part 2–algorithms for scar prevention and treatment.” Dermatological Surgery vol. 40,8 (2014): 825-31.
- “About ScarAway”. Retrieved from https://www.myscaraway.com/about/
- Bleasdale, Benjamin et al. “The Use of Silicone Adhesives for Scar Reduction.” Advances in Wound Care vol. 4,7 (2015): 422-430
- Gauglitz, Gerd G et al. “Hypertrophic scarring and keloids: pathomechanisms and current and emerging treatment strategies.” Molecular Medicine (Cambridge, Mass.) vol. 17,1-2 (2010): 113-25